Goods Vehicle

Taxation of Goods Vehicles

Motor Tax liability arises from the date the vehicle is first registered or for second hand vehicles the date of purchase.

Goods Vehicles are taxed based on their unladen weight.

An articulated vehicle (i.e. vehicle and semi-trailer) is regarded as a single vehicle and motor tax is payable on the basis of the unladen weight of the tractor unit plus the unladen weight of the heaviest semi-trailer which will be used at any time during the period of the licence. Additional duty is not otherwise payable in relation to the use of a vehicle to draw a trailer or sidecar. An Articulated Lorry weighs at least 9,000kg Unladen Weight and most certainly not less than 9,000kgs ULW.

As from September 2004, if the vehicle is over one year old it must undergo a roadworthiness test.

Changes to Roadworthiness Testing from 1st October 2013

The new Commercial Vehicle Information System (CoVIS) commenced issuing certificates of roadworthiness from 1st October 2013 and the registered owner will automatically receive a new style CRW by post. The RSA (Road Safety Authority) deal with queries regarding replacement CRWs and other queries relating to CoVIS their contact no is 1890 406040. More information and booking of tests is available on 

Authorised Weighbridges in County Louth:


  • CCO t/a Lockington Shipping - Quay Street, Dundalk
  • Drummonds Ltd - Knockbridge, Dundalk
  • Loughrans’ Stores Ltd - Clermont Park, Haggardstown,


  • Drummonds Ltd - The Glebe, Ardee


  • Drummonds Ltd - Termonfeckin Road, Drogheda

Authorised Testing Centres in County Louth:

  • Dundalk Vehicle Test Centre
  • Kearns & Murtagh Commercials ltd - Dundalk
  • McArdles Test Centre Ltd –Dundalk
  • N Smith & Sons - Drogheda

For first taxation of a new or imported goods vehicle you need:

  • Completed application form RF100 (obtainable from Garage or Revenue Commissioners) Form must be fully completed & signed ensuring valid insurance details are entered.
  • Fully completed Goods Only Declaration Form RF111A - Goods Only Declaration (for all goods vehicles where the DGVW does not exceed 3,500kgs) and supporting documentation(details are on the reverse of the RF111a form).
  • Weight docket. Docket must have issued from an Authorised Weighbridge and also be accompanied by a weighmasters certificate (see list above), Motor Tax Offices can not accept the unladen weight as per CRW (Road Worthiness Test Centres are not Authorised Weighbridges).
  • Appropriate fee - see rates of duty.

For renewal of motor taxation on a goods vehicle you need:

  • Completed application form i.e. Reminder Form RF100B (issues from VRU, Shannon) or Renewal Form RF100A. Form must be fully completed & signed ensuring insurance details are entered.
  • Current Certificate of Roadworthiness or a CRW from authorised testing centre.
  • Appropriate Fee.