Last Revised By
Louth County Council (the Council) is responsible for the provision of an extensive range of public services, including Housing. This is the Privacy Notice for the Housing Section of the Council including Social Housing Support Applications, Rents, Grants, loans, Private Rented Inspections, Tenant Purchase Scheme & Housing Assistance Payment.
Louth County Council seeks to promote the economic, social and cultural development of Louth and in doing so contributes significantly to improving the quality of life of the people of the county.
Information Collected by Louth County Council
The Council processes and uses certain types of information about individuals (Data Subjects) and organisations to provide the most effective and targeted range of services to meet the needs of the citizens, communities and businesses of Louth.
Depending on the service being sought or provided, the information collected may include ‘Personal Data’. This is defined by the Data Protection Acts 1988, 2003 & 2018, and by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) and may relate to current, past and future service users; past, current and prospective employees; suppliers; and members of the public who may engage in communications with the Council.
In addition, the Council may be required, from time to time, to collect, process and use certain types of personal data to comply with regulatory or legislative requirements. This includes contact details to allow for efficient communication. You do not have to provide all contact details but providing more, such as e-mail, telephone number & address make it easier to communicate with you. If you do not provide this data, the Council may be unable to comply with certain obligations.
All applicants for Social Housing Supports are required to provide information on the following categories of data (where applicable);
- PPS numbers for all members of the household.
- Personal details of applicant and of any spouse or partner.
- Nationality details of applicant and of any spouse or partner.
- Marital details of applicant and of any spouse or partner.
- Employment details of applicant and of any spouse or partner.
- Weekly income details of applicant and of any spouse or partner.
- Details of any other household members seeking accommodation.
- Details of any medical or disability grounds which may have a bearing on the application.
- Details of any other property or land in which applicants have a financial interest.
- Details of any public order offences of which the applicant or any member of the household has been convicted.
- Details of the type of social housing supports being sought.
- List of areas within the boundaries of the Council where the applicant would accept social housing.
Requirement for a Privacy Notice
The Council has created this Privacy Notice to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy and to assure you that all your dealings with Social Housing Supports the Council will ensure the security of the data you provide.
The personal data you may be required to supply to the Council, or may be collected through other sources (i.e. investigations by Council staff, CCTV footage, Social Media, information from other third parties or agents acting on your behalf) is
- Obtained lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Obtained for only specified, explicit and legitimate purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained.
- Recorded, stored accurately and securely and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Kept for only as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it was obtained.
- Kept in a form which permits identification of the data subject for no longer than is necessary.
- Processed only in a manner that ensures the appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing.
Sharing of Information
The Council may share your information internally (within the Council) in accordance with statutory obligations. In additional, the Council may share your information with third parties in accordance with statutory and regulatory obligations. The staff of the Housing Section share, request and obtain information with third parties in accordance with statutory and regulatory obligations. The staff of the Housing Section share, request and obtain information with or from the following bodies as appropriate:
- Another Housing Authority.
- An Garda Siochána.
- The Department of Social Protection.
- The Health Service Executive.
- An Approved Housing Body.
- Central Credit Register.
- Contractors carrying out works on behalf of the Housing Section of Louth County Council.
How your Personal Data will be Used/Processed
The volume of customers the Council serve and the range of services provided require IT systems to manage customer applications. Access to the data is controlled and restricted to relevant staff involved in assessing and processing the various services with other security measures such as passwords.
Legal and Regulatory Obligations
The legal basis and legitimate interest for processing personal data are included in:
- Housing Acts.
- Department of Planning, Housing and Local Government Circulars.
You have the right to request access to personal data held about you, obtain confirmation as to whether data concerning you exists, be informed of the content and source of data and check its accuracy. If the data held by the Council is found to be inaccurate you have the right to amend, remove, block or object to the use of said personal data. In certain circumstances blocking access to data may delay or remove access to a service where the data is required by law or for essential purposes related to delivery of a service to you. Please note that to help protect your privacy the Council take steps to verify your identity before granting access to personal data.
Data Protection Contact Details
For all enquiries relating to Data Protection you can contact the Council at:
Phone: 042 9335457
Address: Louth County Council, Millennium Centre, St. Alphonsus Road, Dundalk, A91 KFW6, Co. Louth.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the response you receive from the Council in relation to your request you are entitled to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner who may investigate the matter for you.
The Data Protection Commissioner’s website is www.dataprotection.ie or you can contact their office at:
Lo Call Number: 1890 252 231
Address: Data Protection Commissioner, Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, R32 AP23, Co. Laois.