Building Control Management System
From 1st March 2014 commencement notices are to be submitted through the on-line BCMS system at the NBCO Website and selecting BCMS.
What is a Commencement Notice?
A Person who intends to carry out any works, or make a material change of use as regards a building to which this part applies, shall give, to the building control authority in whose functional area the works or building are, is or will be situated, notice in writing of such intention.
You need a commencement notice if you are:
- Constructing a building
- Making a Material alteration to a building
- Extending a building
- Materially changing the use of a building
- Carrying out any works in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building.
The Building Control Authority must be notified between 14 and 28 days before you start construction on site, and it must be accompanied by the correct fee. The current fee for a commencement notice is €30 per building (unit).
Form of Commencement Notice.
4 forms of Commencement Notice.
- Commencement Notice With Compliance Documentation
- Commencement Notices with Opt Out Declaration (For single dwelling Developments only)
- Commencement Notice without Compliance Documentation
- 7 Day Notice which includes For
Commencement Notice with additional Compliance Documentation
A building or works which relate to:
- The construction of a domestic dwelling, or domestic dwellings in a multi-unit development
- The extension of a domestic dwelling of more than 40sq.m
- Works which require a Fire Safety Certificate.
Commencement notice with Opt Out Declaration.
A Building or works which relate to:
- The construction of a single domestic dwelling on a single development site, or
- The extension of a domestic dwelling of more than 40sq.m where the owner is chooses to Opt Out of the requirement for Statutory Certification.
7 Day Notice.
Works which require a Fire Safety Certificate, where the owner intends to commence the construction of such works before the grant of the relevant Fire Safety Certificate
Commencement notice without Additional Documentation
Any other works not listed above, where the Building Control Regulations require such a Notice.
Useful links and Documents:
National Building Control & Market Surveillance Office – NBC & MSO
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs – Link
WARNING: FAILURE TO SUBMIT A COMMENCEMENT NOTICE MAY LEAD TO SUMMARY PROCEEDINGS IN THE DISTRICT COURT WHICH CAN RESULT IN A HEAVY FINE